Food Loss & Waste
澳客网比分直播手机版 www.2v4ox.com.cn What is Food Loss & Waste? According to the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation 'Food Loss' is food that gets lost before it reaches the consumer and 'Food Waste' is food fit for human consumption but discarded or spoiled.
Contribution to reduce food loss and waste
DSM wants to support its business partners in reducing food loss and waste in various ways, both in the food production as well as transport and consumption phases:
- reducing the use of critical food resources,
- getting more out of limited natural resources, and
- preserving the nutritional value of food and extending the shelf-life of food products
- whilst improving margins
- Pack-Age? is a membrane used during cheese production. Preventing mould and yeast growth it helps to achieve a higher yield, resulting in a reduced carbon footprint of 10%. If this solution was used across the cheese industry it would prevent the loss of around 200,000 tons of cheese (and 3.55 billion liters of milk) per year.
- Akulon? polyamide 6 plastic provides an excellent barrier material that helps to extend the shelf-life of packaged food, protecting both fresh and processed foods from spoilage, aging and discoloration.
- The Hy-D? feed solution improves bird health and bone strength, positively affecting animal welfare and resulting in more chicken meat avaialable for consumption. It also helps to strengthen egg shells resulting in a greater proportion of saleable eggs.
- DSM’s antioxidants, such as vitamin C provide both nutritional properties as well as slow down oxidation and increase the shelf-life of products, helping to reduce food waste.
Effectively tackling food loss and waste calls for a strong collaborative effort across industries, governments, and by consumers themselves. DSM is involved in several coalition platforms, undertaking various actions to reduce food loss and waste. One of them is the Champions 12.3, a coalition of executives dedicated to accelerating progress towards achieving Sustainable Development Goal 12.3: halving per capita global food waste and reducing food losses along production and supply chains by 2030.
Together we aspire to steer the world toward a less wasteful, more sustainable food future, a food system that works for all.